Monday, February 23, 2009

mirrored by a tree.

twisted bark and carved arches
life has etched it's mark on me
my roots run deep and so do my cracks
I'm standing tall, but scared I'll fall.
my shadow is a giver, my soul-a taker
I reap from the ground
only to have my fruit ripped from me.
I reach for the heights,
and must contend with nature's laws,
time, season and gravity.
strangers lean on me,
they stop to catch their breath
then move on as they please...
occasionally they'll nest for a while
if the weather so conspires
till autumn comes like clockwork
sending them off in pursuit of more
just as my leaves start to fall
leaving me out there, a lonely bared soul.
i see the smoke from fires
fueled by my brothers
and wonder what fate awaits me,
will i burn or will i rot,
will be carved into something fancy
be set on a pedestal to be shown off
polished and cherished
for the rest of my life
or maybe I'll always be simply a tree
rooted to a spot but altogether free
to embrace my constant friend -the wind,
and longingly wait for spring.

9 comments:

  1. Man, this is all kinds of intense. I'll need to reread this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @princess :-)

    @therisingpage and Feather-thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ....take comfort in the fact that you are the warmth that those birds need but can't find elsewhere at that time,
    ...you're the shoulder of support for those weary strangers when they'd have otherwise fallen over and been trodden on by life
    ...it does get a little frustrating sometimes...the thanklessness...
    ingrates, they are, or at least most of them...
    ...the loneliness does seat with you after they've all left, but cheer up in the hope that you have an opportunity to bless another lonely traveller(bird, stranger, whatever) and bless them like your life depended on it :-)
    till next time,
    easy does it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love this poem!! and you are too young to feel all this shiznezz...LOL,
    but if you must be a tree, you are my favorite tree!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. @walkonby-me thinks you are a picker upper(just made up the term) thanks:-)

    @scotchie-xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! The ease, the simplicity, the emotions, everything. There's something about you and scotchie, you know how to capture the moments.

    ReplyDelete